Friday, August 6, 2010

I just did a "class IV dairy allergy challenge"!

My blood test results came back! Milk allergy reaction used to be 40 and now it's a 17 IgE which is a Class 4.Under 35 IgE means I can do the baked milk study at Baltimore Children's Hospital. The Dr. in Allergic Living magazine said we could just try it so we did.
http://allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=395

We bought dairy and brought it into our dairy-free home!!!
We just baked 1gm of nonfat Carnation Nestle milk powder into one cupcake at 350 for 30 minutes and I just ATE HALF!
I tried dairy! My grandmother would have loved this!

I did this about an hour ago and started sneezing and took 1 Benedryl and it's all getting better. 11 sneezes, puffy eyes, and runny nose.

So I don't know what this means. We're gonna' have to research to see if we call it a day on this whole thing or we do something with my cheddar levels at 8. Back to the drawing board.

-----------------------------------------------
I am REALLY allergic to dairy which usually isn't too big a deal as long as I am in charge of managing it. I eat before parties, leave the room when I see dairy, leave a party when the cake is cut, don't go in my lunchroom in school, and have only reacted from a handshake once. We have as many parties as we can at our house with huge, amazing non-dairy cakes.  I am grateful for my family and friends who have my back and wash their hands and mouth before playing with me.

World travel is easy if you're not a picky eater. I ate pasta in Paris (from a bakery and from the Auto Center and a 100 yr old toy museum and at a restaurant on peacock island) and EVERYTHING in Japan because it has a lot of non-dairy options. We are planning trips to Montreal, Italy and India and going to stay in a place that has it's own kitchen so we can cook at home and eat out Chinese food.  My family is vegetarian but I was raised to eat everything when everybody found out I was allergic to dairy so I would have more ways to get protein.
----------------------------------------------

I hope sharing my experiences helps other people with food allergies or if you have family or friends that are allergic to milk I hope this helps. I would love to read your comments.Thanks!

 This book was fun when I was really little. Cody the Allergic Cow: A Children's Story of Milk Allergies 

Allergy-Free Desserts: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free,Soy-free and Nut-free Delights

The Egg, Dairy and Nut Free Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment